I always thought that just because I was thin, that I was healthy. I didn’t need to work out or eat right because I was thin, that’s all that mattered. I couldn’t have been more wrong. I was the perfect example of the term “Skinny Fat.” Have you heard this term before? It is defined as ” that a person may be skinny in appearance, however their BODY FATpercentage (24% to 39% seems to be the general range) is very high by medical and health standards. You may fit into a size two but do you still jiggle without Spanx?”
This misconception is one that I wished I addressed before I got sick. It’s sad that it took me getting sick to get set on the correct path. But it is what it is. All I can do now is educate my family, hoping they don’t follow my unhealthy path to sickness.
Below are 10 Tips to Help Cure Your Skinny Fat-
- Eat a Low-Glycemic Load DIET — Lean animal protein (chicken, fish, and eggs), nuts, seeds, beans, vegetables, fruit, and small amounts of non-gluten grains.
- Power Up with Protein — Start the day with protein and at each meal. This makes your metabolism run hotter and cuts hunger. Incorporate eggs, PROTEIN SHAKES, nuts, seeds, chicken, or fish.
- Don’t Drink Your Calories — No sodas, juices, sweetened drinks and no more than 3-4 glasses of wine or alcohol a week with meals.
- Avoid the Deadly White Powder or Flour — Including gluten-free flour products. Even whole grain flour acts like sugar in your body.
- Beware of Frankenfood — Factory-made foods are often science projects with fake ingredients including MSG (which causes ravenous hunger and is hidden as “natural flavoring”), high fructose corn syrup, artificial colors, preservatives, and chemicals.
- Eat From the Right Plant — If it was made in a plant stay away, if it was grown on a plant it is probably okay.
- Get an OIL CHANGE — Eat omega-3 fat-rich foods including sardines and wild salmon and avoid REFINED and processed vegetable oils except olive oil.
- Get Going and Get Strong — Both cardio and strength training are key. Cardio builds fitness and IMPROVES metabolism, and strength training BUILDS MUSCLE so you won’t be a skinny fat person.
- Take Supplements — They grease the wheels of your metabolism and help BURN CALORIES and balance blood sugar. A good multivitamin, fish oil (EPA/DHA,) and vitamin D do the trick for 95 percent of people.
- Protect Sleep Time — Sleep deprivation alters metabolism and increases cravings for carbs and sugar. Sleep is sacred. Make your bedroom a sleeping temple and stay there for 7 to 8 hours a night
taken from http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/skinny-fat_b_1799797.html