“If you want to get serious about sustainability we have
to start with our waste.”
Waste is a serious problem that impacts all of us. Here’s 2 charts that shows how much the US wasted in the past years. Could you imagine how much that has increased over the last few years. How sad is this, when so many people in our world is starving to death?!?!
Here’s 2 charts showing how much the world wastes
The best place to start, is within our own home. There is so many different things we can do, to reduce our own waste from recycling & repurposing items & materials, buying less things which means less clutter, & learning new ways to use up everything we have. You can be as creative as you want, but if you need ideas there is so much out there. It also doesn’t have to be some elaborate plan, oftentimes simple is better. Aren’t sure where to begin, here’s
10 simple ideas that you can do to reduce waste around your house:
1. Use a gallon milk jug to water the roots of garden plants without standing there with a hose: Poke small holes in the bottom of the jug and bury it; fill with water for slow and steady irrigation.
2. Place old silica gel packets with personal papers and important documents to protect them from moisture and mildew.
3. Make a bird feeder out of a 2-liter plastic bottle.
4. Pour used bacon grease into a tuna or cat food can, chill until firm, and wire the can to a tree to give your feathered visitors some food. Bacon grease may be gross to some of us, but it attracts bluebirds, crows, jays, ravens, starlings, woodpeckers and Carolina wrens.
5. Missing game pieces instead of throwing away, use game board as a wall decor or coasters, & use the game pieces for jewelry, magnets, decor items
6. Compost everything that you don’t use ****put in a compost chart****
7. Coffee grounds- use in homemade soaps, exfoliate, use in garden to keep ants & slugs at bay, dried grounds used as a scouring agent, in fridge neutralizes odors,
8. Newspaper- lay down while painting, lie our snack cages with, wash windows with, use a layer in garden to help keep weeds at bay, compost,
9. Tea bags- for eyes, insect bites,
10. toilet paper tubes- for crafting, packaging & packing material, nesting materials etc
Top 10 Ways To Reduce Waste
Waste Less Live More
The True Cost of Food Waste
2.6 Trillion Pounds of Garbage: Where Does The World’s Trash Go?
What are some ways you reduce wastes in